Competition And Festival Information
- The 2023 Chicago International Music Competition and Festival will be held in person in the Chicago area at Wheaton College, July 16-24.
- The competition has two rounds: The preliminary round in Vietnam and the final round in Chicago. Selected finalists will be invited to Chicago for the final round.
- The preliminary round will be adjudicated on March 18 – April 9, 2023.
- The competition application deadline is February 28, 2023.
- The 2023 Chicago International Music Competition and Festival is open to musicians of all nationalities, all ages, and all levels.
- The Competition has two categories: Rising Star Category and Professional Category.
- The Competition has two divisions: Solo Division and Ensemble Division. The Solo Division includes both Instrumental and Vocal Divisions.
- If applying for more than one division, applicants must complete separate applications and pay the required fees for *each* individual division.
- Contestants in all age groups/divisions may choose to participate in both solo and ensemble categories. For example, participants may choose to compete in the Rising Star or Professional solo category *and* the ensemble division at the same time.
- Participants may choose to apply in both the Rising Star category and Professional Category.
- Contestants may choose to participate in the competition, the festival, or both.
- The final round and festival application deadline is April 15, 2023.
- Each festival participant will receive four private lessons, seminars, and discussions, with our faculty, and perform in festival concerts.
- No changes to the competition program are permitted once the application form has been received.
- The 2023 CIMC also will offer an online festival for participants who cannot attend the in-person festival. The online festival will be held July 31-August 6, 2023.
Rising Star Category
The First Grand Prize Winners of previous editions of CIMC are *not* eligible to apply.
Current students of the 2023 CIMC jury members are *not* eligible to apply.
All works must be performed by memory in the Solo Divisions.
Within reason, works should avoid repeats.
No changes to the competition program are permitted once the application form has been received.
The decisions of the Jury are final and not subject to review or appeal.
The Jury is permitted to award the same numerical ranking to several contestants. In the event of a tie, the Jury may divide the monetary prize equally between the prizewinners.
Rising Star Category–Participants must perform two self-chosen works: any work of any composer from the Baroque period, the Classical period, the Romantic period, and the Modern period.
Professional Category– Participants must perform four self-chosen works: any work of any composer from the Baroque period, the Classical period, the Romantic period, and the Modern period.
Preliminary Round in Vietnam
- A in-person preliminary audition is required for all levels, divisions, and categories.
- Finalist selection results will be announced on April 16, 2023.
—-The duration of all works should not exceed 5 minutes for the preliminary round.
Final Round in Chicago, USA
The final round will be held in-person in the Chicago area at Wheaton College.
All works must be performed by memory in Solo division.
The Jury retains the right to stop a performance if it exceeds the allotted time.
Finalists will be given time to rehearse in the venue before the finals begin.
The finals may be recorded by CIMC, and recordings may be used for CIMC publicity and/or publications.